We are pleased to announce a job vacancy for a full-time 4-years Post-doc position at the University of Antwerp (Belgium) in the field of:
Numerical modelling of hydro- and morphodynamics of intertidal flats
Please apply following the online procedure at: https://www.uantwerp.be/en/jobs/vacancies/ap/2014bapfdbioef030/
- You will work on a 4-year project with the objective to develop and implement an advanced numerical model that is able to simulate the landscape evolution of intertidal flats and marshes, on time scales from a few years to several decades, and spatial scales of km². The modeling will include both hydrodynamic modelling (of tidal currents and waves) and morphodynamic modelling (sediment transport, sedimentation, erosion). Special focus is on the interaction with a vegetation growth model (to be developed in collaboration with the Royal Netherlands Institute of Sea Research, where an ecologist will collect experimental data to develop the vegetation growth model). The mutual bio-physical interactions between vegetation dynamics, hydro- and morphodynamics will be crucial to predict the landscape evolution of intertidal areas, as they are typically colonized by marsh vegetation.
- This modeling study will be specifically carried out for the Scheldt estuary (Belgium, SW Netherlands), building further upon earlier model developments in the Ecosystem Management research group (University Antwerp) in collaboration with the Royal Netherlands Institute of Sea Research (NIOZ Yerseke). A calibrated and validated two-dimensional hydrodynamic model for the Scheldt estuary is available in the Telemac modeling package. Within the project, this Telemac model will be further extended and refined specifically focusing on the intertidal zone. Large datasets on tidal propagation, tidal currents, morphodynamic development and vegetation development (since 1930 to present) are available for large intertidal areas (ca. 30 km²) and will be used for extensive testing of the model. The model will be further used to study the landscape evolution of tidal flats and marshes in response to forcing factors, such as sea level rise, and for future projects of intertidal ecosystem creation, which are planned in the Scheldt estuary (by so-called managed realignment or de-embankment).
- During the project you will work in close cooperation with other researchers (modelers and experimental researchers) within the Ecosystem Management research group of the University of Antwerp (the work will be coordinated by Prof Dr Stijn Temmerman and Prof Dr Patrick Meire) and the Royal Netherlands Institute of Sea Research (work coordinated by Prof Dr Johan Van de Koppel). Results will be presented and feedback provided at regular meetings with an advisory board consisting of national and international experts in this field. You will communicate results at national and international conferences and symposia. You will publish results in high-quality scientific journals and reports.
- Depending on your previous research experience you may participate in the guidance of research of PhD and Master students within the Ecosystem Management research group, and you will participate to the general functioning of the research group.
Profile and requirements:
- You hold a PhD degree in Sciences or Engineering, with broad experience in the field of hydro- and morphodynamic modeling of estuarine or river systems
- Candidates who do not hold a PhD-degree but can proof that they have extensive research experience of at least 4 years in the field of hydro- and morphodynamic modeling of estuarine or river systems, can also be considered. They need to hold a Master degree in Engineering or Bio-engineering;
- You can submit outstanding academic and research results;
- You have developed highly qualified research skills;
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy (http://www.ua.ac.be/research);
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative, customer-oriented and cooperative.
- A full-time position as scientific researcher, at post-doc level in case you hold a PhD degree, for a period of two years, with the possibility of renewal for a further two-year period after positive evaluation (4 years in total);
- The start date will be as soon as possible, the earliest from 1st April 2014;
- A dynamic and stimulating work environment.
Applications may only be submitted online, until the closing date 1st March 2014; please follow the online application procedure at:
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel;
- More information about the application form can be obtained from Ellen Huijer (email@example.com; tel. +32 3 265 31 45) or Robin Wynants (firstname.lastname@example.org; tel. +32 3 265 31 41);
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact prof. Stijn Temmerman (email@example.com; tel. +32 3 265 23 13).